Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Reading about Rwanda

It's been just about 2 months since the last post and a little over 2 months since our trip. In the past week, I've been asked by 3 people for my reading list so I thought I'd post it finally; I meant to do this when we got back but didn't (because I'm lazy when it comes to blogs).

This is not in any way exhaustive or complete - I read books recommended to me or that I found through the recommended reading sections. I've also included some films. There are a lot of books and films out there and I don't think I'll ever make it through all of them no matter how hard I try.

Books:
  • Land of a Thousand Hills - Rosamond Halsey Carr (my favorite pre-trip book)
  • We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed With Our Families - Philip Gourevitch
  • Africa, Altered States, Ordinary Miracles - Richard Dowden (Not specifically about Rwanda but an interesting read about Africa. I have to admit I have a bit of a crush on Mr. Dowden.)
  • Shake Hands with the Devil - Romeo Dallaire
  • Life Laid Bare - Jean Hatzfeld, translated by Linda Coverdale
Currently reading or will read soon:
  • An Ordinary Man - Paul Rusesabagnia with Tom Zoellner (Paul's story is the inspiration for the film Hotel Rwanda) - currently reading
  • God Sleeps In Rwanda - Joseph Sebarenzi with Laura Ann Mullane - next in my "To Read" pile
  • A Thousand Hills - Stephen Kinzer (a biography of Paul Kagame)
  • Machete Season - The Killers in Rwanda Speak - Jean Hatzfeld
  • The Dark Romance of Dian Fossey - Harold T.P. Hayes
  • The Bone Woman - Clea Koff (forensic scientist who investigated Rwanda and the Balkans)
I've also been on the lookout for fiction from Rwandan authors and language resources for learning Kinyarwandan.

Films:
  • Hotel Rwanda
  • Gorillas in the Mist
  • Shake Hands with the Devil (documentary version) - this version is based on Gen. Romeo Dallaire's return to Rwanda
  • Shake Hands with the Devil (film version) - dramatization of Dallaire's book
  • Shooting Dogs (called Beyond the Gates in the US) - this was recommended to me by another member of the group, Vee. I think all of us watched it at some point before or after the trip.
All of the above are available on Netflix (that's how I watched them). I'm still trying to find a copy of God Sleeps in Rwanda (a documentary about women and the genocide) that's not on iTunes (I hate watching movies on my computer!) and 100 Days. There is also a documentary about Rosamond Carr but I haven't been able to find it either.

Many of the above films were filmed on location in Rwanda specifically at the locations where the events took place. For films made after 1994, I have to wonder what that filming experience was like.

There's also a booming film industry in Rwanda, recently hosting the 7th annual Rwanda Film Festival (or Hillywood Film Festival-Rwanda is the Land of a Thousand Hills). Here's a link to an article about the festival. One film, Kinyarwanda, was an official selection at the 2011 Sundance Film Festival and should be released sometime in November 2011.


Please post additions to these lists in the comments section (if you have them).

No comments:

Post a Comment